- Dupont State Forest has the Stone Mountain Summit hike. Less than a mile to the top. Not easy but not hard either.
- Dupont State Forest also has the Cedar Rock Mountain hike that is a 4.5 mile loop. Beautiful scenery on this one.
- Pisgah National Forest has some wonderful hikes and the John Rock Trail is perfect during the winter. A Mile from the trailhead at Looking Glass Rock, John Rock is a 5 mile loop that runs to the top of a rock face with incredible panoramic views and you can see Looking Glass Rock.
- Daniel Ridge Falls Trail, also near Looking Glass Rock in Pisgah National Forest. It is a 4 mile loop that includes the 150 foot waterfall.
- Dupont State Forest has High Falls, Triple Falls and Hooker Falls
"Not The Usual Suspects"
- The Asheville Urban Trail has often been described as a "museum without walls". There is more information on it at exploreasheville.com
- North Carolina Arboretum has ten miles of trails. It will cost to park ($8 I think) but beautiful winding walks in lots of different environments.
The Mountains To The Seas Trail Hikes
- One Ridge Trail is a 3.5 mile hike east of Asheville. It starts at the Folk Art Center (I-40 @ Exit 55). It is an easy mile to where the Blue Ridge Parkway crosses the trail. Add 4.5 miles by walking up to Craven Gap. www.hikenc.info says that this trail can be accessed when the park is closed by parking at the Tunnel Road intersection. Awesome?
- Rattlesnake Lodge Trail has a great story, ruins AND nice winter views. RomanticAsheville.com
has detailed information.
John, Diane, Darla and Debbie
1898 Waverly Inn
Bed and Breakfast Hendersonville NC